Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Provence Cabinet




When I found this piece I didn't really know what I was going to create with it.  My creativity was nowhere to be found.  To top it off, Bill (my husband) doubted its potential.  After sitting in storage for a few months, it came to me; I wanted it to be a statement piece.  To avoid the existing drabness, and since Bill said it was "UGLY", I decided to spice it up with color. 

Picking color was easy.  The rustic look of Annie Sloan's Provence with clear and dark wax was an easy pick for me.  It’s currently one of my favorite hues.  It’s one of the hottest trending colors and will work for many customers.  Now that I had a color in mind, I decided to distress (apply dark wax) to add some rustic beauty.  For the interior of the cabinet, I decided on Annie's Paris Grey with clear wax.  I realized that in order to achieve true rustic elegance I needed to incorporate another element of texture for visual interest.  Should I texture the paint, layer the paint, or replace glass with wire mesh?  As you can see, wire won!  The result is a beautiful multipurpose cabinet that I am going to have a difficult time parting with.  

Let me know what you think. 

The cabinet can serve many uses in a variety of settings; an extra cabinet in the kitchen, liquor cabinet in the dining, storage for extra towels and toiletries in the bathroom, or as a nail and makeup bar in a teen’s room. The choices are endless. 

Annie’s products, in my experience have been relatively easy to use.  I have heard mixed reviews on applying dark wax; my experience was pain free using the following procedure.  

I used Styrofoam plates to paint and wax from, allowing me to distribute the material into the brush.  This is especially important when using dark wax on a lighter piece.  I have not yet purchased brushes, I would like to compare brushes and gather reviews before deciding on which will meet my needs.  To enhance the distressing of the dark wax, I used 220 grit sand paper to rough the edges before application.  A shoe polish brush I purchased at Target was used to buff the wax 12+ hours after application, I have two; one for clear wax and one for dark wax.

After talking with various colleagues in the business, doing some research on pricing, and calculating my time and costs I priced it at $225.  A piece with less artistic characteristics would sell in PB or RH for considerably more.  ;)  Until it sells, I’ll enjoy the likes I get on my post, pictures, and Facebook page.
Cheers!  Thanks for reading.Simply Stunning Style Provence Cabinet

No comments:

Post a Comment