Thursday, February 20, 2014

Stylish Modern Coffee Table





This is one solid coffee table.  Classically beautiful, and heavy with a modern flair.  I decided to complement its contemporary edge with black paint, and at the same time reduce the modernness with the aged look of driftwood.  I achieved this by color layering, color washing, and dry brushing.  This coffee table is awaiting waxing (clear) and staging; then it will be ready for purchase.

I used American Paint Company's (APC) Cannonball Black for the base.  The two-sided drawer and top were  coated with Annie Sloan's Paloma, and then layered and dry brushed with APC Smoke Signal and Cannonball Black.  I coated the top with two layers of clear wax, buffing heavily between each coat.
I'm really liking the surface!  Those who have seen it, LOVE it.

My experience.
I chose AS Paloma because it is a beautiful neutral with a hint of gray and lavender undertones.  I was anxious to use it and thought this was the perfect opportunity.  After seeing this type of trendsetting finish in just about every store, I wanted to tackle it myself.

Starting with AS Paloma, I was really liking the color that appeared after one coat on this solid oak table.  I store chalk paint cans upside down to avoid the pigment from settling on the bottom, and stir well before applying.  However, there were extreme color differences between the first and second coats of Paloma.  I attempted to dry brush Paloma as a second coat hoping for a richer color in places; however, the result was exactly opposite.  I had lighter spots all over that required me to apply a second coat to the entire surface.  From that point on, everything went as planned.
APC Cannonball is from their new Ellis Collection.  Per their website, American Paint Company Ellis Collection the Ellis Collection is "a grouping of old-world colors brought together for a new beginning for your treasures".  
I must say, I love this collection.  I did water down the paint as it is thick and heavily pigmented.  Its application is smooth, and the color is uniform.  It is a true black.  What you see, is what you get, before and after finishing.  

Staging pictures coming soon.

Don't forget to like my FB page.  Simply Stunning Style

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment